The live music series that plants trees
The first in a unique season of music that directly contributes to reforestation, whilst also promoting nature, sustainability, music and local artists, launched this week.
Filmed in the wild, hinter live is a new project that is the crossroads between environmentalism and live music. The Canadian company based in Montréal has this week launched a year-long campaign of live performances shot in different National Parks across Canada. Each session plants over 500 trees in forests in need through the NGO One Tree Planted.
hinter live was awarded with funding from the Support Live Music Events programme from FACTOR Canada, which promotes the recovery of arts and culture industries across Canada after the impact of COVID-19. The first season began airing on 7 September with Juno and Polaris Music Prize nominee, Pierre Kwenders live at Domaine Saint-Bernard.
Pierre’s spine-tingling performance, amongst 1,500 acres of stunning protected nature, is available to watch at the link below:
Does Jennifer Aniston’s newly-launched range of vegan, cruelty-free, toxin-free haircare products make the sustainability cut?
Full transparency – I love Jen Aniston. I am 38, so I grew up with Friends as the backdrop to my life. But when I saw that my teenage idol had launched a ‘sustainable’ hair care line, I was worried. Was this going to be yet another celebrity greenwash?
LolaVie positions itself as a brand that “creates products that are effective, smart, and unfussy – ones that solve real problems without the fluff” and has so far only launched one product – a glossing detangler for $25.00. This sole product claims to be “99% Naturally-Derived” (where does the other 1% come from, we wonder?), is vegan and cruelty-free, and created without the use of parabens, silicones, sulphates, phthalates and gluten (no idea what these are? Check out of glossary here).
The brand’s website states that:
“LolaVie is committed to doing its part for the planet and to being more sustainable. In addition to using recyclable packaging wherever possible, we’re proud to fortify our products with bamboo essence instead of de-ionized (common) water.”
LolaVie is also a Leaping Bunny certified company, which means neither it nor its suppliers and manufacturers conduct, commission or act as a party to any animal testing.
So, is this a truly sustainable brand? Well, the slow release of products is an intentional move by LolaVie, and a slow brand is almost always a more sustainable brand. But with no mention – yet – of how or where the products are made – or why by – and until we find out how many products will be in the range, we will reserve judgement for now.
But I’m keeping my fingers crossed – don’t let me down, Jen!
Six out of ten Aussies support action to half greenhouse emissions by 2030
The Australian Conservation Foundation (ACF) has teamed up with YouGov to undertake the biggest and most in-depth study of Australian voters’ opinions on climate change ever conducted. The study found that the majority of voters in every one of the nation’s 151 federal electorates believes that the Morrison government should be doing more to tackle climate change.
The ACF asked “respected pollsters” YouGov to undertake the survey as a “temperature check” on Aussies views on global warming, and polled a nationally representative sample of more than 15,000 voters on a range of questions on climate change and government action. YouGov then used a multilevel regression with poststratification (MRP) tool to combine the polling data with census data to make forecasts across every electorate in the country – the same technique that accurately predicted the results of the last UK general election, even at electorate level.
The poll found a unified voice across the country on climate change, shattering the myth that there is one view in the bush and a different one in the city. One-in-three voters in inner metro electorates and one-in-four voters in rural electorates say climate change is the most important issue for them at the next election. Other results included:
- Nationally, 71 percent of voters do not see coal and gas as part of Australia’s future energy mix, with a majority in every seat rejecting plans for the government to build new gas and coal-fired power plants.
- Half (50 percent) of Coalition voters want greater action on climate change and one-in-five Coalition voters say it is the issue that will determine their vote.
- One-in-four voters (28 percent) rate climate change as the most important issue to determine their vote at the next federal election, while another 39 percent rate it as important, making climate important to 67 percent of voters.
- Six out of ten voters (61 percent) support action to cut Australia’s greenhouse emissions by at least half by 2030.
- 67 percent of voters think the Morrison government should pay more attention to expert advice on climate change.
Download the full report here.