I make a batch of these as a yummy, healthy snack to keep me going throughout the day.
Packed full of delicious, antioxidant-rich and energy-boosting ingredients like raw cacao, almonds and cashews, these little balls of delight are perfect to kick those 3.30pm chocolate cravings.
The best thing about this recipe is … it’s so simple! And if you don’t have quite the right quantities or ingredients, it doesn’t matter. Play around with different nuts or different additions (such as protein powder). My bestie even uses raw peanut butter in hers. YUMO!
1 cup pitted dates, soaked for 15 minutes in a bowl of water
1 cup nuts (you can use any mix, but I like almonds and cashews)
1/3 cup raw cacao powder (I use Fairtrade or organically/sustainably produced products)
1/2 cup shredded or desiccated coconut
1-2 tbsp locally produced chia seeds
1 tbsp coconut oil
More coconut for decoration
1. Blend the nuts until they form a breadcrumb-like texture
2. Add the nuts, dates, cacao powder, coconut and coconut oil to a mixing bowl. Mix hard with a wooden spoon or blend until the mixture starts to stick together. (You may need to add a little more water or coconut oil for this. The mixture needs to be able to be moulded into balls).
3. Add the chia seeds and mix well with a wooden spoon.
4. Lie a sheet of greaseproof paper or a reusable baking mat on a chopping board and tip a pile of coconut on top.
5. Use a spoon to measure out a portion of the mixture, roll into a ball with your hands, then roll the ball in the coconut and place on a plate.
6. Repeat until all the mixture has been rolled into balls.
7. Pop the plate into the fridge for 12 hours and voila! A delicious, healthy snack is ready to eat!