Everyone desires to have beautiful, glowing skin.
However, the modern lifestyle, work pressures, inadequate water intake and unhealthy eating habits can leave your skin looking a little duller than you might like.
Stress is also one of the culprits that can take away the natural glow of your skin.
Many mainstream, chemical-laden products claim to help you “achieve flawless skin”, drawing you in with attractive packaging, creative descriptions, and clever marketing techniques. However, many of the ingredients in these products can have harmful effects on your skin and health, as well as a negative impact on the environment in the long term, especially considering most come cased in plastic.
If you are looking for natural products that can give you a dewy look and also help the environment in the long term, you need look no further than your own kitchen!
Here are nine ingredients you can easily find in your kitchen, which can help you achieve glowing skin.
Best for: skin hydration.
Everyone has this salad-ingredient in their fridge at home. Its cooling properties can be used as a face pack or juiced up as a refreshing drink! Cucumber helps with treating oily skin and can help reduce the occurrence of acne. Here’s how:
- Slice the cucumber (as you would for a salad) and refrigerate it.
- Once cold, apply the slices to your skin directly.
- Keep them there for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Wash off residue with cold water.
Suitable for people with dry skin due to its moisturising properties, cucumber has ascorbic acid and caffeic acid that prevents water retention in the body. Your skin feels fresh, less swollen, and puffy. To avoid any skin irritation, you can buy organic cucumbers and avoid harmful chemicals; otherwise, make sure you wash your cucumbers well before use.
Best for: skin brightening
Pomegranates are rich in antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. They have anti-inflammatory properties that are beneficial for all skin types. They help in cell regeneration that prevents the occurrence of fine lines and wrinkles.
Pomegranate juice is an excellent remedy for younger-looking skin. Drinking pomegranate wine in moderation spurs collagen production, fights toxins and gives a natural glow to your skin.
3. Green Tea
Best for: fighting free-radicals.
Green tea has many health benefits and can help delay the early signs of ageing and skin diseases. It is a rich source of antioxidant which helps in fighting free radicals in the body.
How to use Green Tea:
- Drink it as a tea for cleansing your system from the inside out.
- Use its leaves for a steam bath.
- Apply it as a face mask to relax your skin and give it skin a beautiful glow.
You can buy loose organic green tea leaves from a local bulk food store and brew your own cup of homemade green tea. This way, you are avoiding the use of plastic and also promoting a healthy, sustainable future for yourself. If you do not have access to bulk food stores, then you can order from brands that use sustainable packaging like sugarcane-based paper.
Best for: treating uneven skin tone
Turmeric is an essential ingredient in Indian curries. It has incredible properties for both skin and overall health. This spice has the power to treat uneven skin tone, heal cracked feet, and other skin issues.
You can also use turmeric to bleach facial hair. Add it to honey or lemon for a light bleach to your facial hair. Make sure you don’t add too much turmeric, as it can turn your face (and everything else!) yellow.
Best for: even skin tone
Almonds are rich in antioxidants, which can help hydrate your skin; and in biotin, which helps promote the production of keratin, which in turn gives you healthy hair, nails, and skin.
Almonds are also rich in vitamin E, which is essential for healthy skin.
How to use almonds:
- Mix almond powder with milk and use it as a face mask.
- Cure dark circles by applying almond powder mixed with grated raw potato.
- For even skin tone, combine the almond powder with sugar granules, fresh cream, and lemon juice. Massage this mixture and wash it to reveal soft and glowing skin.
Best for: improving skin texture
Eggs are one of the protein-rich superfoods that can nourish the skin and hair. The egg whites contain a protein called albumin that helps in tightening skin pores and firming up your skin. It also inhibits the excessive production of oil on the skin and clears blackheads.
Eggs are rich in lutein that replenishes skin by hydrating it.
How to use eggs:
- Apply the egg white on your face and wash off once it is dry to naturally reduce fine lines and tighten your skin.
- Applying egg white mixed with lemon juice can help close pores.
Best for: skin lightening
Lemon has been used as a beauty ingredient for centuries. This citrus fruit is a rich source of vitamin C, which makes it an essential skincare product for glowing skin.
You can use this product in any form of skincare DIY for flawless skin, naturally.
Lemon helps get rid of dead skin, blackheads, and whiteheads. It can also reduce the production of sebum, which helps in reducing pimples.
A DIY mask using lemon and sugar is great for exfoliation, as well as being environmentally friendly and waste free! To make a face mask:
- Combine half teaspoon of lemon, two tablespoons of powdered almonds with one tablespoon of honey.
- Apply and gently scrub off the dead skin cells from your face and neck.
- Rinse with water.
Best for: dark circles
Potatoes are rich in antioxidants They have anti-inflammatory, skin brightening, and anti-aging properties. They have enzymes called catecholase that help in treating dark spots.
Add potatoes to your beauty routine for a flawless and even skin tone.
How to use potatoes:
- Make potato juice and apply it on your face using your fingers.
- Leave it for fifteen minutes and wash it off with normal water.
- You will notice your skin looks more even tone than before. It also helps in removing under-eye puffiness and dark circles.
- For dealing with this skin issue, cut potato slice, refrigerate and put it on top of your closed eyes.
9. Gram flour
Best for: skin brightening
Gram flour is a popular ingredient available in most kitchen cabinets. It is very economical, and you can buy it from any grocery store.
Gram flour helps in dealing with multiple skin problems. It maintains the pH balance of the skin and also acts as a cleanser for the skin. It helps in removing pigmentation and makes your skin supple.
It has antimicrobial properties and also moisturises your skin.
The effect of gram flour on your skin depends on what kind of mask you are applying.
How to use gram flour:
- You can simply make a mixture of water and gram flour to remove excess oil from your skin.
- For removing pigmentation, try a mask of one teaspoon yogurt, one teaspoon lemon juice, four teaspoons gram flour with a pinch of turmeric. Apply it on your skin, wash it once it is dry and then moisturize for gorgeous skin.
Who knew your kitchen was such a beauty salon?!
Our kitchens are full of ingredients that are absolutely beauty hacks and are economical too. Everyone has different skin textures and types, so be careful while using these ingredients and if they don’t suit your skin, then discontinue and try something else.